Tuesday, February 8, 2011

He Put a Ring on it.


Daren and I officially got engaged on December 29, 2010.
I arrived at the SEATAC airport late in the morning on December 29. The flight had been smooth and I anxiously waited as the plane taxied along the runway. I sent Daren an excited text, "WE JUST LANDED!!!!" I scampered through the tunnel into the airport with an extra spring in my step and an anxious smile budding and bursting on from lips. My searching eyes began examining the scenery around me, hunting for a face among the crowds of strangers. My heart began to race, and then I found him. I couldn't contain the smile any longer, it erupted and overflowed, spreading down to me toes. I dropped my suitcase and ran into open arms.
We went about our day, excited that our time apart was finally over. Soon enough it was almost dinner time and Daren's mother asked us to pick up some juice from the store. We made our way to the store and back without anything unusual happening, or at least not that I noticed. I have realized that I am the most oblivious person on the planet. I didn't notice as Daren's family drove right past us on our way home and I certainly didn't notice that the car was gone. I walked into a dim and empty house wondering, "Where is everyone, why is it so dark?" not noticing the decorated table and romantic mood. It took me a second..."OOOH!" I turned and gave Daren, who was waiting for my reaction, a quizzical look. I turned around and my eyes found a curious object that was placed on the coffee table in the living room. Daren asked if we could do our Christmas exchange before dinner, so I sat on the couch near the coffee table and he handed me a letter. The letter explained the gift: it was a mailbox of sorts, a personal one in which I would receive letters from him. Attatched was a light, and when the light was on, I had a new letter. The gift was carved in the shape of a tree, with a space in the trunk for the letters to go. It was beautiful and definitely took a lot of work to make. The last paragraph spoke of the first time we spent time together alone...we walked to Jamba Juice and came back and climbed a tree near my apartment and talked. Then the letter mentioned a question he hoped he would get to ask me since that day. Then, he opened the top of the tree (mailbox) and inside was a ring. He got down on one knee and asked if I would marry him. I was blown away and so all I managed was to croak out a yes. We celebrated together the rest of the evening and I'm still jumping for joy.
I love this fella.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Daniella, I loved reading how he proposed. You should post pictures of the present. Elizabeth is sitting here with me and I told her she is going to have two uncle Dar(r)en's :) and she said, "I'm so excited".