Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Friend

Yesterday on my run, I passed a young man going the opposite direction as me. He had a very poorly behaved dog with him. The dog was running in the street and up to strangers and doing whatever it wanted. The owner didn't seem to care what the dog did. I found this odd, but figured, some people just have no consideration for others, and continued on my run. As I came around another loop, I saw the same fellow with the same dog, only the dog promptly turned around and began to tag along with me! "Huh," I thought, "So the dog wasn't his after all." And so the dog suddenly fell under my borrowed responsibility. I wasn't sure what to do, I figured he would soon get bored and trot off and leave me be, but the dog began running out to the street and chasing cars, nearly killing himself. I shouted after him "DOG NO! Come back Dog!!!" Then he would run back to me and chomp on some snow. I couldn't leave him to get killed in the street, so I continued to try to control him as he ran with me. Then, Dog ran out to a big black truck and began threatening it with his barks and snarls. The truck pulled over and a young man shouted out the window,"IS THIS YOUR DOG?" "NO!" I responded with a laugh. The young man, who had a lady friend with him, was willing to take Dog, who obviously belonged to someone, off the streets. We had a difficult time getting him to climb into the back of the truck. He kept wanting to follow me, bless his heart. So finally I picked him up and shoved him into the bed of the truck. I turned with a "THANK YOU!" and continued my run, only to be surprised 5 seconds later by dog right by my side again. I laughed. I liked this crazy dog. OK, time to get down to business, Dog would have to go inSIDE the car this time. I once again lifted his hind quarters off the ground and pushed him into the truck and closed the door. "It's for your own good Dog." I waved and thanked the couple again, and began to run, laughing and shaking my head all the while. I'll miss my new car chasing, snow eating friend. I hope you find your home Dog!

No comments: